ABRA issues alcoholic beverage licenses to nightclubs in the District. A nightclub is defined as an establishment that:
- Serves food and alcoholic beverages
- Provides music and facilities for dancing
- Follows a security plan
ABRA issues two types of licenses to nightclubs:
- On-premises Retailer Class C: Permits the sale, service and consumption of spirits, beer and wine at a nightclub
- On-premises Retailer Class D: Permits the sale, service and consumption of beer and wine at a nightclub
Nightclubs can obtain permits to expand their scope of operations. Permits can be applied for either at the time of initial application or after the license is issued:
- Summer Garden or Sidewalk Café Endorsement: Allows a nightclub to sell, serve and allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages on outdoor public or private space.
- Brew Pub Permit: Allows a nightclub to brew beer on or adjacent to the premises and to sell the beer for consumption at the licensed nightclub. Also allows the licensee to sell the beer to wholesalers.
- Wine Pub Permit: Allows a nightclub to manufacture wine on or adjacent to the premises and to sell the wine for consumption at the licensed nightclub. Also allows the licensee to sell the wine to wholesalers.
- Distillery Pub Permit: Allows a nightclub to manufacture, distill and store craft liquors on the licensed premises or in an area immediately adjacent to the premises.
Learn more about licensing fees on ABRA's website.
- ABC License Application Process and ABC License Form
- Security Plan Form
- Extended Holiday Hours
- Summer Garden/Sidewalk Cafe Endorsements
- ABC Manager License Form
- ABC Manager Renewal Form
- Attorney/Agent Designation Form
- Gifts and Loans Disclosure Form
- Stipulated License
If you are making any changes to an already licensed business, find the proper form here:
- One Day Substantial Change
- Change of Hours
- Change License Class
- Change Corporate Name
- Change Trade Name
- Change of Officers, Directors, Partners
- Change of Ownership (complete ABC License application)
- License Safekeeping
- Settlement Agreement Amendment and Termination Form
- Update Contact Information
- ABC Quick Guide: Nightclub Licensees
- ABC Quick Guide: Security Plans
- ABC Quick Guide: Minors and ABC Establishments
- ABC Quick Guide: Books and Records and Food Sales Requirements
- ABC Quick Guide: Gift and Loan Rules
- ABC Quick Guide: Amending or Terminating Settlement Agreements
- Best Practices for Nightlife Guide
- ABRA Noise Prevention Resources