Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Import-Transport Permit for Retailers

District alcohol-licensed retailers are required to obtain a permit in order to import and transport alcoholic beverages into the District of Columbia. An import-transport permit may only be issued to a retailer for alcoholic beverages that cannot be obtained in sufficient quantity from any licensed manufacturer or wholesaler in the District of Columbia.

To apply for an import-transport permit: 

  • Complete the form below;
  • Sign the form (the licensee or the licensee’s authorized designee may sign); 
  • Print two copies;
  • Submit the two copies in person to ABRA's office: 2000 14th Street, NW, Suite 400 South, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20009;
  • Pay a $5 fee for each import-transport permit in addition to any necessary gallonage tax. 

Forms may be submitted at ABRA’s office between 8:30 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday.

Payment can be made in the form of a cashier’s check, certified check, business check, attorney’s check, personal check, or money order. A check or money order must be payable to the DC Treasurer. Payment may also be made by Visa or MasterCard. 

The import-transport permit must accompany the shipment of alcoholic beverages.