The Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (Board) is an independent body that meets once each week to adjudicate, administer and enforce alcoholic beverage laws. Board members are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the DC Council for a four-year term. There may be as many as seven members on the Board, with three members constituting a quorum. The current Board members are:
- Donovan Anderson, Chairperson, Ward 7
- Rema Wahabzadah, Ward 6
- Rafi Aliya Crockett, Ward 5
- Bobby Cato, Jr., Ward 5
- James Short Jr., Ward 7
- Mike Silverstein, Ward 2
The Board is responsible for:
- Approving all applications for new alcoholic beverage licenses, renewals, transfers of ownership or location, substantial changes, suspensions, revocations, the safekeeping of licenses, and voluntary agreements.
- Enforcing District alcohol laws.
- Issuing new alcoholic beverage regulations and policies related to the sale and distribution of alcohol.
- Referring violations of the law to the Office of the Attorney General and other legal authorities for investigation and prosecution.
- Overseeing the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration.