A moratorium zone is a defined area where the ABC Board has:
- Limited the number of alcoholic beverage licenses issued
- Prohibited the issuance of alcoholic beverage licenses of any class
- Prohibited the issuance of amended licenses that constitute a substantial change
- Limited the sale of products that may be sold by an off-premises retailer’s license, class A or B
Any group with standing in accordance with D.C. Official Code § 25-601 may make a request to the ABC Board to issue limitations or to declare a moratorium. Requests must stipulate the reasons that the moratorium is appropriate under at least two of the appropriateness standards. See D.C. Official Code § 25-313. If a request meets all of the requirements, the ABC Board will provide notice to the public as required by law.
There are 4 moratoriums in effect across the District. They include:
- Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone
- Glover Park Moratorium Zone
- Langdon Park Moratorium Zone
- West Dupont Circle Moratorium Zone
Additional information on moratoria can be found in Title 25 of D.C. Official Code and Title 23 of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations.