Several categories of DC-licensed healthcare practitioners may recommend the use of medical cannabis to qualifying patients for any condition for which treatment with medical cannabis would be beneficial.
Eligible practitioners include physicians, naturopathic physicians (ND) advanced practice registered nurses (APRN), physician assistants, and dentists.
Healthcare practitioners must:
- Be certified by their respective board and in good standing to practice medicine in DC.
- Be In bona fide practitioner-patient relationship with the qualifying patient.
- Have completed a full assessment of the patient’s medical history and current medical condition, including an in-person physical examination, performed not more than ninety (90) days prior to making the recommendation.
- Have responsibility for the ongoing care and treatment of the patient, provided that such ongoing treatment shall not be limited to or for the primary purpose of the provision of medical marijuana use or consultation.
- Make the recommendation based on the qualifying patient’s medical history, current medical condition, and a review of other approved medications and treatments that might provide the qualifying patient with relief from a qualifying medical condition or the side effects of a qualifying medical treatment.
- Not be the owner, director, officer, member, incorporator, agent, or employee of a dispensary or cultivation center.
Healthcare practitioners with a professional office located at or adjacent to a dispensary or cultivation center or receive financial compensation from a dispensary or cultivation center are not eligible to make medical cannabis recommendations.
Healthcare practitioners recommending the use of medical cannabis shall maintain a record for each qualifying patient reflecting the evaluation and treatment of the patient and de kept for three (3) years after last seeing the patient or three (3) years after a minor patient reaches 18 years of age.
Healthcare practitioners shall notify ABRA in writing within fourteen (14) calendar days after advising a qualifying patient that he or she no longer suffers from a qualifying medical condition or is undergoing a qualifying medical treatment.
To Apply or Renew
No special registration or license is required. Practitioners must request access to the electronic recommendation form online:
- Naturopathic physicians (ND)
- Advanced practice registered nurses (APRN)
- Physician assistants
Valid Period and Fees
There is no fee to make medical cannabis recommendations.
The recommendation that is written is valid for one year for the patient, if he/she obtains a registration card from ABRA within 90 days from the date when the recommendation was written.