DC law requires that a person holding an ABC Manager License, in the absence of the owner, be on duty and on premises during business hours in order to legally sell and serve alcoholic beverages.
ABC Managers are persons that have undergone training for the responsible service of alcohol and are familiar with laws regulating the selling and serving of alcoholic beverages in DC.
ABC Manager Licenses are valid for three (3) years from date of issuance. Temporary ABC Manager Licenses are only valid for 30 or 90-days from the date of issuance.
Approved applicants will be issued a physical license (pictured right).
ABC Manager Licenses are issued to and maintained by the person named on the license for the entire licensure period. An ABC Manager License is NOT associated with or controlled by any establishment—even if it was paid for by a representative of that establishment.
A duplicate license can be requested with a copy of your state-issued identification and a check or money order in the amount of $10 mailed to 2000 14th Street, NW, Suite 400 South, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20009 or delivered to the Self-Service Kiosk Dropbox at the same address. The duplicate license will be mailed to the licensee address on the identification provided unless another address is noted.
Complete application packets—those that include all the following documents and payment—may be submitted in the Self-Service Kiosk DropBox at ABRA's office, by email to [email protected] in PDF format, or through a postal or delivery service. Required items include:
1. ABC Manager License Application. Complete the application in its entirety including the Personal Information Release Authorization page AND notarize where required.
2. Clean Hands—Individual Certification. Secure a certificate from the District’s Office of Tax and Revenue verifying that the applicant does not have more than $100 in outstanding fines owed to the District government.
- The self-certify page for Clean Hands Certification is no longer valid. All applicants must visit mytax.dc.gov to obtain their own Certificate of Clean Hands and submit with the New or Renewal application. This is a NEW PROCESS as of March 2020.
3. Police Clearance. DC residents must secure a clearance report from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). Non-DC residents must secure one (1) report from MPD and one (1) from the jurisdiction of residence.
- All persons with a misdemeanor or felony conviction during the last five years must submit a copy of the Court Disposition with their application.
- A temporary ABC Manager License may be issued to persons who have not yet obtained a Police Clearance from DC and/or their jurisdiction of residence. If all missing police clearance(s) is/are not provided within 90-days of the temporary license being issued, the license will be cancelled and monies paid forfeited.
4. Alcohol Awareness Training Certification. Applicants must complete an alcohol awareness training program from an ABC Board-approved provider. Certifications are valid for three (3) years from the date of issuance.
- A temporary ABC Manager License may be issued to persons who have not completed the required alcohol awareness training program. If a copy of the certificate is not provided within 30-days of the temporary license being issued, the license will be cancelled and monies paid forfeited.
5. Payment. See License Fees and Renewal Schedule
6. Photo ID. Provide a photocopy of your current, valid government-issued photo ID.
7. Proof of eligibility to work in the United States (if applicable). Green card, Work Permit, or Naturalization document, if applicable.