DC law requires that a person holding an ABC Manager License, in the absence of the owner, be on duty and on premises during business hours in order to legally sell and serve alcoholic beverages.
ABC Managers are persons that have undergone training for the responsible service of alcohol and are familiar with laws regulating the selling and serving of alcoholic beverages in DC.
ABC Manager Licenses are valid for three (3) years from date of issuance. Temporary ABC Manager Licenses are only valid for 30 or 90-days from the date of issuance.
Approved applicants will be issued a physical license (pictured right) at the time of their visit.
ABC Manager Licenses are issued to and maintained by the person named on the license for the entire licensure period. An ABC Manager License is NOT associated with or controlled by any establishment—even if it was paid for by a representative of that establishment.
Application Instructions—New or Renewal
Complete applications packets—those that include all the following documents and payment—must be submitted in-person at ABRA’s office. Required items include:
1. ABC Manager License Application. Complete the application in its entirety including the Personal Information Release Authorization page AND notarize where required.
2. Clean Hands—Individual Certification. Secure a certificate from the District’s Office of Tax and Revenue verifying that that the applicant does not have more than $100 in outstanding fines owed to the District government.
3. Police Clearance. DC residents must secure a clearance report from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). Non-DC residents must secure one (1) report from MPD and one (1) from the jurisdiction of residence.
- All persons with a misdemeanor or felony conviction during the last five years must submit a copy of the Court Disposition with their application.
- A temporary ABC Manager License may be issued to persons who have not yet obtained a Police Clearance from DC and/or their jurisdiction of residence. If all missing police clearance(s) is/are not provided within 90-days of the temporary license being issued, the license will be cancelled and monies paid forfeited.
4. Alcohol Awareness Training Certification. Applicants must complete an alcohol awareness training program from an ABC Board-approved provider. Certifications are valid for three (3) years from the date of issuance.
- A temporary ABC Manager License may be issued to persons who have not completed the required alcohol awareness training program. If a copy of the certificate is not provided within 30-days of the temporary license being issued, the license will be cancelled and monies paid forfeited.
5. Payment. The fee is $390 per license.