ABRA issues alcoholic beverage licenses to off-premises retailers in the District, including liquor stores, beer and wine stores and grocery stores. There are two types of licenses available to off-premises retailers:
- Off-premises Retailer Class A: Permits the sale of spirits, beer, and wine for consumption off the licensed premises.
- Off-premises Retailer Class B: Permits the sale of beer and wine for consumption off the licensed premises.
Off-premise retailers are only permitted to sell alcohol in closed containers that may be consumed off of the licensed premises. They are also permitted to deliver alcoholic beverages in sealed containers.
Retailers can obtain a tasting permit to provide customers with a tasting of alcoholic products on the licensed premises. Permits can be applied for either at the time of initial application or after the license is issued.
Off-premises retailer's class A licenses are due to be renewed by March 31, 2021. Complete details are available online. Retailer class B licenses are due to renew by September 30, 2023. A schedule of renewal deadlines are available on ABRA's website.
Off-Premises Retailer's Forms
- ABC License Application Process and ABC License Application
- Ward 2 and 6 Exception to Single Sales Restrictions
- Tasting Permit Application
- ABC Manager License Form
- ABC Manager Renewal Form
- Attorney/Agent Designation Form
- Settlement Agreement Amendment and Termination Form
- Gifts and Loans Disclosure Form
- Stipulated License
- Import-Transport Permit for Retailers
If you are making any changes to an already licensed business, find the proper form here:
- Change of Hours
- Change License Class
- Change Corporate Name
- Change Trade Name
- Change of Officers, Directors, Partners
- Change of Ownership (complete ABC License application)
- License Safekeeping
- ABC Quick Guide: Off-Premises Retailer Class A Licensees
- ABC Quick Guide: Off-Premises Retailer Class B Licensees
- ABC Quick Guide: Minors and ABC Establishments
- ABC Quick Guide: Books and Records and Food Sales Requirements
- ABC Quick Guide: Technology Companies
- ABC Quick Guide: Gift and Loan Rules
- ABC Quick Guide: Amending or Terminating Settlement Agreements
- ABC Quick Guide: Growlers