A limit exists on the number of alcoholic beverage licenses that can be issued in the Adams Morgan neighborhood through August 27, 2021. The current rules are as follows:
- The Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone extends approximately 1,400 feet in all directions from the intersection of Belmont Road and 18th Street, NW.
- No new licenses can be issued for taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
- No nightclub licenses are permitted in the zone.
- No more than 10 licenses issued for taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
- A restaurant holding a license within the zone is prohibited from changing its license class unless there are fewer than 10 taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
- A license holder outside of the zone is not permitted to transfer its license to a location within the zone unless it is a restaurant, hotel or off-premise retailer.
The following are exempt from the terms of the Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone:
- Off-premise retailers (class A and B)
Complete details are available in section 304 of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations (DCMR).