ABRA issues licenses to ABC managers in the District. An ABC manager is required to be on duty and on the premises during the approved licensed hours of sales in order for the establishment to sell and serve alcoholic beverages.
ABC managers are required to complete an alcohol awareness training program offered by an Alcoholic Beverage Control Board-approved provider. This program educates applicants on matters related to the sale and consumption of alcohol. A number of these programs are available in the DC metro area. Certifications are valid for two years.
In order to apply for a manager's license, submit the following to ABRA:
- ABC Manager’s License application. The applicant's signature must be notarized on the form.
- Personal Information Release Authorization included in the ABC Manager's License application. The applicant's signature must be notarized on the form.
- Clean Hands Certificate included in the ABC Manager's License application. ABRA uses this form to verify outstanding fines owed by an applicant to the District of Columbia government. In order to obtain a license, there may not be more than $100 in outstanding fines — such as parking fines — owed.
- Police clearance from the Metropolitan Police Department. Applicants that reside outside of the District must submit 2 police clearances: 1 from the District and 1 from the jurisdiction of residence.
- Copy of an alcohol awareness training certificate (provided by the alcohol awareness training program.
A manager's license must be renewed every two years.
Temporary Managers License
An applicant for an ABC Manager's License that has not yet completed an alcohol training education program may be issued a temporary manager's license by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. Please visit ABRA's office to apply for a temporary manager's license.
ABC Manager Forms
Forms must be returned in person to ABRA's office:
- 2000 14th Street, NW, Suite 400 South, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20009