ABRA issues temporary alcoholic beverage licenses for banquets, picnics, bazaars, fairs, weddings and other gatherings. A temporary license authorizes the sale, service and consumption of alcoholic beverages at a specific location for up to four days.
Filing Deadlines for Outdoor Events
File temporary license applications for outdoor events with ABRA at least 20 days prior to the event taking place. Outdoor events are defined as those occurring on:
- Outdoor public space, excluding sidewalk cafés adjacent to a building;
- Outdoor private space that is not located on the private property of the building being operated or utilized by the applicant for its event; or
- Another property owner’s private space, such as an outdoor parking lot.
Filing Deadlines for Indoor Events
File applications for indoor events at least seven days prior to an event taking place. An indoor event is categorized as occurring inside of or on site of a building, including a building’s:
- Outdoor courtyard,
- Summer garden or rooftop deck, or
- Sidewalk café that is located adjacent to the applicant's building provided that a public space permit or written approval has been issued by the District Department of Transportation.
Applicants should submit applications for large indoor and outdoor events well in advance of the deadline.
Under a temporary license, a licensee can receive deliveries from a wholesaler up to 48 hours before an event occurring on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday. The alcoholic beverages delivered may not be consumed until the event and stored in a secure location.
Filing the Application
In order to apply for a temporary license, follow the instructions and complete the application provided below. Forms must be returned in person to ABRA's office:
- 2000 14th Street, NW, Suite 400 South, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20009
Applicants that have questions about temporary licenses can contact ABRA's Licensing Division by calling (202) 442-4423 or emailing.