ABRA issues licenses to taverns in the District. A tavern is generally defined as an establishment that:
- Serves food and alcoholic beverages
- Plays recorded or background music
- Possesses a dance floor not to exceed 140 square feet without an entertainment endorsement
ABRA issues two types of licenses to taverns:
- On-premises Retailer Class C: Permits the sale, service and consumption of spirits, beer, and wine at a tavern
- On-premises Retailer Class D: Permits the sale, service and consumption of beer and wine at a tavern
Taverns can obtain additional endorsements to expand their scope of operations.Endorsement can be applied for either at the time of initial application or after the license is issued:
- Entertainment Endorsement: There are three different types of entertainment endorsement categories that allow a tavern to either provide live entertainment, dancing, or to charge a cover. Taverns that want to provide entertainment, dancing, or charge a cover can apply for one, two or all three endorsement categories.
- Summer Garden or Sidewalk Café Endorsement: Allows a tavern to sell, serve, and allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages on outdoor public or private space.
- Brew Pub Endorsement: Allows a tavern to brew beer on or adjacent to the premises and to sell the beer for consumption at the licensed tavern. Also allows the licensee to sell the beer to wholesalers.
- Wine Pub Endorsement: Allows a tavern to manufacture wine on or adjacent to the premises and to sell the wine for consumption at the licensed tavern. Also allows the licensee to sell the wine to wholesalers.
- Distillery Pub Endorsement: Allows a tavern to manufacture, distill and store craft liquors on the licensed premises or in an area immediately adjacent to the premises.
Tavern class C and D licenses are due to renew by September 30, 2022. A complete schedule of renewal deadlines are available on ABRA's website.
- ABC License Application Process and ABC License Form
- Extended Holiday Hours
- Summer Garden/Sidewalk Cafe Endorsements
- Entertainment Endorsement
- ABC Manager License Form
- ABC Manager Renewal Form
- Attorney/Agent Designation Form
- Security Plan Form
- Gifts and Loans Disclosure Form
- Stipulated License
- Import-Transport Permit for Retailers
If you are making any changes to an already licensed business, find the proper form here:
- One Day Substantial Change
- Change of Hours
- Change License Class
- Change Corporate Name
- Change Trade Name
- Change of Officers, Directors, Partners
- Change of Ownership (complete ABC License application)
- License Safekeeping
- Settlement Agreement Amendment and Termination Form
- Update Contact Information
- ABC Quick Guide: Tavern Licensees
- ABC Quick Guide: Minors and ABC Establishments
- ABC Quick Guide: Books and Records and Food Sales Requirements
- ABC Quick Guide: Gift and Loan Rules
- ABC Quick Guide: Amending or Terminating Settlement Agreements
- Best Practices for Nightlife Establishments
- ABRA Noise Prevention Resources