Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Private Clubs

ABRA issues alcoholic beverage licenses to private clubs. Clubs are defined as any organization that meets the following criteria:

  • Incorporated for three months
  • Owns, leases or occupies a building 
  • Main source of revenue for the operation is not alcoholic beverages

ABRA issues two types of licenses to clubs:

  • On-premises Retailer Class CX: Permits the sale, service and consumption of spirits, beer and wine at a club.
  • On-premises Retailer Class DX: Permits the sale, service and consumption of beer and wine at a club.

Alcoholic beverages may be served in open or closed containers in a room or area only accessible by the club's members and their guests.

License Renewals

Private clubs class CX and DX licenses are due to renew by April 1, 2019. A complete schedule of renewal deadlines are available on ABRA's website

Club Forms

If you are making any changes to an already licensed business, find the proper form here:

Additional Resources