ABRA issues alcoholic beverage licenses to manufacturers in the District. A licensed manufacturer is permitted to produce alcohol and to sell the products it produces to other licensed establishments, licensed dealers and consumers. There are three types of licenses:
- Manufacturer Class A: Permits a distillery to distill spirits and a winery to produce wine, cider or mead.
- Manufacturer Class B: Permits a brewery to brew beer.
- Manufacturer Class C: Permits a bakery to produce baked goods with a maximum of 5 percent of alcohol by volume.
Class A and B manufacturers can obtain permits to expand their scope of operations. Permits can be applied for either at the time of initial application or after the license is issued. There are several types of permits available to manufacturers:
- Tasting Permit: Allows a manufacturer to provide customers with a tasting of its products on a portion of its licensed premises.
- On-Site Sales and Consumption Permit: Allows a manufacturer to sell its products for consumption on its licensed premises.
- Entertainment Endorsement: Allows a manufacturer that has an on-site sales and consumption permit to provide entertainment such as a a live band or DJ; provide dancing facilities; and charge a cover for admission. Manufacturers can apply for one, two or all three types of endorsements.
- Summer Garden or Sidewalk Café Endorsement: Allows a manufacturer with an on-site sales and consumption permit to sell, serve and allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages on outdoor public or private space.
A New Alcohol Law Provides Business Opportunities for District Alcohol Manufacturers. The new law allows manufacturers to:
Sell collaboration wines in growlers and crowlers for off-premise consumption - Class A
Sell collaboration beers in crowlers for off-premise consumption - Class B
The maximum ABV allowance for wine manufactured in DC jumps from 15 to 21 percent. Pub Endorsement holders can manufacture wine, beer, and spirits in a second location that is within 600 feet of their licensed premises.
Additional information is available on Manufacturer and Pub Endorsement Parity Amendment Act of 2019.
Class A manufacturers (distilleries, wineries and cideries) are due to renew alcohol licenses by March 31, 2021. Complete details are available online. A schedule of renewal deadlines are available on ABRA's website.
A manufacturer may be represented by a solicitor. A solicitor is required to obtain a solicitor's license from ABRA. The license authorizes a solicitor to sell alcoholic beverages on behalf of the manufacturer whose name appears on the license and whom the solicitor represents. A solicitor's license allows the licensee to transport samples to and from licensed establishments.
A manufacturer that holds an on-site sales and consumption permit can sell and serve beer, wine and spirits at private events that are not open to the public for on-premises consumption. The beer, wine and spirits must be purchased from a licensed wholesaler or manufacturer.
A manufacturer may sell its products in sealed bottles, barrels, cans, kegs and growlers for off-premise consumption.
A manufacturer can serve as a vendor at a District farmer's market that has an ABC farmer's market license. As a vendor, a District alcohol manufacturer could provide tastings of its products at no cost and sell sealed bottles of its alcohol for off-premises consumption
- ABC License Process and ABC License Form
- Manufacturer's Permit/Endorsement Application
- ABC Manager License
- ABC Manager Renewal
- Solicitor's License Application
- Solicitor's License Renewal Application
- Attorney/Agent Designation Form
- Gifts and Loans Disclosure Form
- Stipulated License
If you are making any changes to an already licensed business, find the proper form here:
- One Day Substantial Change
- Change of Hours
- Change License Class
- Change Corporate Name
- Change Trade Name
- Change of Officers, Directors, Partners
- Change of Ownership (complete ABC License application)
- Transfer Consent (complete ABC License application)
- License Safekeeping