Today the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board unanimously approved waiving registration fees for medical cannabis patients and caregivers through January 31, 2022.
On November 5, Mayor Muriel Bowser signed emergency legislation into law authorizing the issuance of patient and caregiver registrations valid for two (2) years—instead of one (1) year—for applicants who submit their application by January 31, 2022. Issuance is subject to approval.
Low income patients can continue to qualify for a 20 percent discount off of medical cannabis products from all of DC’s seven (7) licensed dispensaries, excluding paraphernalia, by including approved documentation with their application. Approved reduced fee patients will be issued a digital and physical registration with a red border around the face photo to alert dispensaries of the discount eligibility.
Patient and caregivers registration applications and details are available online.
Patients and caregivers who were issued a one (1) year registration on or after November 10, 2020 are also eligible to receive a new registration valid for two (2) years from the original issuance date at no cost. Previously paid registrations fees are non-refundable.
Individuals may request a new registration by:
- Email. Include “Extended Registration Request” in the subject line, and the full name of the registrant, registration number, and mailing address in the email. Direct the request to the Medical Cannabis Division.
- Mail. Include the full name of the registrant, registration number, and mailing address in the request. Mail to ABRA, Medical Cannabis Program, 2000 14th Street NW, Suite 400 South, Washington, DC 20009.
- In-Person. Every Thursday through December 16, excluding Veterans Day and Thanksgiving Day, ABRA hosts Turnaround Thursdays. Walk-in customers approved for a registration will receive their physical and digital registration during their visit. Visit ABRA, 2000 14th Street NW, Suite 400 South, Washington, DC 20009. Service hours are 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Patients and caregivers are reminded that DC’s medical cannabis program has seven (7) licensed dispensaries.
- Ward 1—Capital City Care at 1115 U Street NW
- Ward 2—Herbal Alternatives at 1710 Rhode Island Avenue NW, Third Floor
- Ward 2—National Holistic Healing Center at 1636 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Ward 4—Takoma Wellness Center at 6925 Blair Road NW
- Ward 6—Kinfolk Dispensary at 433 Massachusetts Avenue NW
- Ward 7—Cannabliss at 4721 Sheriff Road NE
- Ward 8—Anacostia Organics at 2022 Martin Luther King Jr Avenue SE
Any business selling cannabis in DC other than these seven (7) licensed dispensaries is an illegal operation and should be reported to the Enforcemention Division. Tips may be made anonymously.
If you have any questions about the medical cannabis program, please email the Medical Cannabis Division.