All class B licensed retailers and wholesalers in the District are due to renew alcoholic beverage licenses by:
- Saturday, September 30, 2017
Licensees should ensure they complete the following steps during the renewal season.
Update Your Contact Information
Licensees that need to update mailing address, email address or phone number information with ABRA are encouraged to do so by August 11, 2017. Contact information may be updated by completing and returning a form to ABRA.
Check Your Mail
A renewal notice will be mailed to a licensee's mailing address on file in mid-August. Contact ABRA if you do not receive your renewal notice by the end of August.
Renew in Person
Licenses can be renewed any time after receiving the renewal notice in the mail and before the September 30, 2017 deadline. License renewals must be done in person at ABRA's office during business hours:
- 8:30 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday
- 2000 14th Street, NW, 4th Floor, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20009
Provide the following when visiting the office:
- Completed renewal application and all required documentation.
- Completed and printed Certificate of Clean Hands. The certificate should be submitted with the renewal application and all other required documentation.
- Government-issued ID.
During the renewal period, a licensee that has had a settlement agreement in place for at least four years has the option to apply to amend or terminate the agreement. To do so:
- Follow all of the instructions and complete the Settlement Agreement Amendment and Termination form.
- File the form at the same time as the renewal application and by the September 30, 2017 deadline.
- The request is subject to the review and approval of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.
License fees may be paid by:
- Visa or MasterCard, check, certified check, money order or cashier's check.
- Checks must be made payable to the DC Treasurer.
- Any applicant with outstanding fines or payment to ABRA, will need to complete payment before the renewal application can be processed.
Don't Be Late - Renew Early!
In order to avoid long lines, licensees are encouraged to submit renewal applications to ABRA as early as possible. Renewals can be done any time after receipt of the renewal packet and before the September 30, 2017 deadline. Renewal applications not returned by deadline will be subject to a late fee of $50 per business day—not to exceed the cost of the license—and cancellation.
Post Renewal Placards
After the renewal application is received and processed:
- ABRA will issue two renewal placards to the applicant.
- Both placards will need to be posted on the licensed establishment in a place that is visible to the public for 45 days.
- Check the renewal notice on the placards for dates that the placards must be posted.
- During the 45-day placard period, a renewal application could be protested. If an application is protested, the protest would need to be resolved before the application can be reviewed by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.
All applications are subject to the review and approval of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.
Licensees that have questions about renewals can contact ABRA's Licensing Division by:
- Emailing; or
- Calling (202) 442-4423.