On February 26, Mayor Muriel Bowser introduced The Medical Cannabis Amendment Act of 2021 to make the District’s medical cannabis program more equitable, inclusive and fair; provide patients and caregivers greater flexibility and options; and ensure facilities are able to meet patient demand and product preferences.
This information session will highlight key provisions included in the legislation such as:
- Removing and reducing barriers for returning citizens to be able to enter the industry and own facilities.
- Increasing the number of permitted dispensaries from eight (8) to 16 and allowing two (2) dispensaries per ward.
- Extending the registration period for medical cannabis facilities from one (1) to three years.
- Eliminating the cultivation center plant count limit on a permanent basis.
- Allowing dispensaries to obtain a safe use treatment facility endorsement to allow medical cannabis to be administered onsite and/or a delivery endorsement to offer cannabis delivery and curbside pickup.
Please note that this information session will only address proposed enhancements to the medical cannabis program and NOT adult-use cannabis.
The legislation can be tracked in the Legislative Information Management System.
All sessions are offered virtually at no cost. Advance registration is required for all trainings. Language interpretation may be requested during registration and is subject to availability.