Several categories of DC-licensed healthcare practitioners may recommend the use of medical cannabis to qualifying patients for any condition for which treatment with medical cannabis would be beneficial.
Eligible practitioners include physicians, naturopathic physicians (ND) advanced practice registered nurses (APRN), physician assistants, and dentists.
Practitioners registered in the program are listed in a searchable roster published on ABRA's website to assist DC residents identify practitioners eligible to make recommendations unless otherwise requested. Updates to the roster are made biannually.
Healthcare practitioners must:
- Be certified by their respective board.
- Be active and in good standing to practice medicine in DC.
- Be In bona fide practitioner-patient relationship with the qualifying patient.
- Have completed a full assessment of the patient’s medical history and current medical condition, performed not more than ninety (90) days prior to making the recommendation.
- Have responsibility for the ongoing care and treatment of the patient, provided that such ongoing treatment shall not be limited to or for the primary purpose of the provision of medical marijuana use or consultation.
- Make the recommendation based on the qualifying patient’s medical history, current medical condition, and a review of other approved medications and treatments that might provide the qualifying patient with relief from a qualifying medical condition or the side effects of a qualifying medical treatment.
- Not be the owner, director, officer, member, incorporator, agent, or employee of a dispensary or cultivation center.
Healthcare practitioners with a professional office located at or adjacent to a dispensary or cultivation center or receive financial compensation from a dispensary or cultivation center are not eligible to make medical cannabis recommendations.
Healthcare practitioners recommending the use of medical cannabis shall maintain a record for each qualifying patient reflecting the evaluation and treatment of the patient and be kept for three (3) years after last seeing the patient or three (3) years after a minor patient reaches 18 years of age.
To Apply or Renew
To be eligible to make a recommendation, qualifying healthcare practitioners must register with ABRA. Individuals needing to determine their licensure status must contact their respective licensing board directly. Updated contact information or licensing board is available at dchealth.dc.gov.
To Make a Recommendation
Once registered with ABRA, approved healthcare practitioners may log into the online portal to make recommendations for qualifying patients.
If you forget your login or password, you can request to reset both through the portal.
Valid Period and Fees
There is no fee to make medical cannabis recommendations.
Recommnendations are valid for two (2) years from the date of issuance.