The Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (Board) is an independent body that meets once each week to adjudicate, administer and enforce the provisions of alcoholic beverage laws. Board members are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the DC Council to serve a term of four years. There may be as many as seven members on the Board. Three Board members are needed for a quorum. The current Board members are:
- Ruthanne Miller, Chairperson, Ward 3
- Nick Alberti, Ward 6
- Donald Brooks, Ward 1
- Herman Jones, Ward 8
- James N. Short Jr., Ward 7
- Mike Silverstein, Ward 2
- V. Hector Rodriguez, Ward 1
As part of its adjudicatory process, the Board holds public hearings in which it decides:
- The license application and adjudication process for all new licenses, renewals, transfers of ownership or location, substantial changes to licenses and notifications required by law of such license activities.
- New procedures for receiving and responding to constituent complaints.
- Referring evidence of criminal misconduct to the Office of the Attorney General and other legal authorities for investigation and prosecution.
- Approving voluntary agreements, the safekeeping of licenses and license suspensions and revocations.
- Issuing regulations that designate ABC license moratorium zones.