Beginning Tuesday, May 31, 2016, one-day substantial change and temporary license applications for outdoor events will need to be filed with the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) at least 20 days prior to the event taking place. Outdoor events are defined as those occurring on:
- Outdoor public space, excluding sidewalk cafés adjacent to a building;
- Outdoor private space that is not located on the private property of the building being operated or utilized by the applicant for its event; or
- Another property owner’s private space, such as an outdoor parking lot.
Applications for indoor events can continue to be filed at least seven days in advance of the event. An indoor event is categorized as occurring inside of or on site of a building, including a building’s:
- Outdoor courtyard,
- Summer garden or rooftop deck, or
- Sidewalk café that is located adjacent to the applicant's building provided that a public space permit or written approval has been issued by the District Department of Transportation.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit applications for large indoor and outdoor events well in advance of the these deadlines. Applicants that have questions about obtaining licenses for events can contact ABRA's Licensing Division by calling (202) 442-4423 or emailing.