If an ABC licensee holding a retailer’s class license cannot obtain an alcoholic beverage from a District of Columbia-licensed wholesaler or manufacturer, a permit to transport alcoholic beverages would be required to import the product. Visit the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) to complete and file a Permit to Transport Alcoholic Beverages form:
- 2000 14th Street, NW, Suite 400 South, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20009
The application must be signed by the licensee or the authorized designee.
Applicants are required to pay $5 for each location alcoholic beverages are to be imported in addition to taxes. Tax rates are as follows:
- Alcohol and spirits - $1.50 per gallon
- Wine, 14 percent or less - $0.30 per gallon
- Wine, 14 percent or more - $0.40 per gallon
- Champagne - $0.45 per gallon
- Beer and malt beverages - $2.79 BBL
The import permit must accompany the shipment of alcoholic beverages.