Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Off-Premises Retailers

ABRA issues alcoholic beverage licenses to off-premises retailers in the District, including liquor stores, beer and wine stores and grocery stores. There are two types of licenses available to off-premises retailers:

  • Off-premises Retailer Class A: Permits the sale of spirits, beer, and wine for consumption off the licensed premises.
  • Off-premises Retailer Class B: Permits the sale of beer and wine for consumption off the licensed premises.

Off-premise retailers are only permitted to sell alcohol in closed containers that may be consumed off of the licensed premises. They are also permitted to deliver alcoholic beverages in sealed containers.

Retailers can obtain a tasting permit to provide customers with a tasting of alcoholic products on the licensed premises. Permits can be applied for either at the time of initial application or after the license is issued.

Learn more about licensing fees and renewal schedules on ABRA's website.

Off-Premises Retailer's Forms

If you are making any changes to an already licensed business, find the proper form here:

Additional Resources