A limit exists on the number of alcoholic beverage licenses that can be issued in the West Dupont Circle neighborhood. The moratorium extends approximately 600 feet in all directions from the intersection of 21st and P streets, NW.
Under the terms of the moratorium, the number of alcoholic beverage licenses that may be issued in the zone may not exceed the following:
- 2 retailer's licenses class A
- 3 retailer's licenses class B
- 6 retailer's licenses class C or D to taverns
- 0 retailer's licenses class C or D to nightclubs
- 3 retailer's licenses class C or D to multipurpose facilities
The following are exempt from the terms of the moratorium zone:
- All hotel licenses;
- Establishments on the 1500 block of Connecticut Avenue, NW; and
- Establishments located in, or to be located in the New Hampshire side of 1 Dupont Circle, NW.
Complete details on the West Dupont Circle Moratorium Zone may be reviewed in DC Municipal Regulations Title 23 Section 307, as found in the ABC Laws and Regulations. .