Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone
A moratorium on the issuance of certain alcoholic beverage licenses is currently in effect in the Adams Morgan neighborhood until April 16, 2014. The Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone extends approximately 1,400 feet in all directions from the intersection of 18th Street and Belmont Road, NW.
Under this moratorium, the following restrictions apply:
- No new retailer's licenses class C or D for restaurants, taverns, nightclubs and multipurpose facilities can be issued.
- There cannot be more than 10 retailer’s licenses class C or D for taverns, nightclubs and multipurpose facilities.
- A restaurant holding a retailer’s license class C or D located within the moratorium zone is prohibited from changing its license class unless there are fewer than 10 taverns, nightclubs and multipurpose facilities holding a retailer's license class C or D within the zone.
- A license holder outside the Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone shall not be permitted to transfer its license to a location within the zone unless it is a license class A or B, or a hotel with a license class C or D.
The following are exempt from the terms of the Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone:
- All hotels; and
- Retailer's licenses class A and B.
Complete details on the Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone can be reviewed in DC Municipal Regulations Title 23 Section 304, as found in the ABC Laws and Regulations.
A downloadable map of Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone is also available.